Tuesday, September 5, 2006

An Open Letter to Users of YouTube

Yes, we're all very proud of you. Your parents bought you that video camera you wanted/you hooked up that new webcam. You've got just so much to say and share with the world, and we're all very excited to hear it. In fact, I can just imagine spending hours away from my friends and loved ones in order to watch you and your friends lip sync to your favorite songs in a poorly lit basement, preferably if I can only see the top half of your head.

Hey, while you're at it, you know that clip from the Daily Show? You know, the really funny one that everyone's been talking about? You should put that on there. What? It's already on there? Well, put it up again, it can't hurt. Don't worry if you're not technically savvy, just point the video camera at the television, glare or no, and upload that shit. We'll be forever grateful if you do.

Hold on a sec, I'm looking for that new Ok Go video. They are such a good band, and their videos are really clever. You know, I bet I could imitate this video and it would be pretty fun. Hey, look, some other people did that. That's neat. I've always wondered what all the 8th graders are doing for their talent shows...now I know. This is great. Why share the brilliance of a song/video/television show when you can just imitate it for people. That's almost the same, which is why I never go to actual concerts, only cover bands.

I wish I could tell you face-to-face just how much I appreciate all of your hard work. If only there were some way, other than typing, to let you know how I feel. Maybe I could hook up a camera and speak right to it, telling you what I think of your video of you talking to a camera. Then I could upload that, and if you watched them back-to-back, it would be like we were having a conversation. That would sure be neat. Plus, I wouldn't have to shower or put on nice clothes or leave my room to do it. Awesome!

Thank you, YouTube. At first, I just thought this would be a great way to share significant news clips or funny bits from our favorite shows. It could even be used to promote up-and-coming bands or give people an inside look of the war in Iraq. Boy, would all that have been boring. Now we finally have something worthy of the internet...a network where anyone with a computer can upload clips of their favorite anime videos or video game cinematics scored to a popular rock song. Finally I have a place where I can go to see strangers teach themselves to play a piano version of the Mario Brothers theme or play the guitar solo to that new hit song I heard on MTV. And, the cherry on top...I can see people's video blogs so that finally I can hear what's going on in the life of the guy who gained 50 pounds because he spent all day in front of his computer posting video blogs.

I feel like I'm wasting my life away just doing this stupid written blog, just typing for five minutes and using my knowledge of grammar and spelling and thinking about stuff. If I were smart, I'd just set up a camera, put on my least stained t-shirt, and ramble on for 8 minutes about what I did today, namely sat in front of a computer, watched videos of people sitting in front of computers, and posted video blogs. Thank you, YouTube. I love you.

No comments: